Friday, June 11, 2010

Green is my favorite color




I have been drinking green smoothies for a long while now. If you are interested look here or here for starters or not, but you should, just saying. I don't remember when I started, but a while ago. I usually make a green smoothie at lunch time. I eat a few smallish other things to get some protein in, but I honestly have developed a taste for them. I like my green smoothies. I also make a yummy citrus smoothie in the morning with all kinds of different citrus fruit, honey, and yogurt. We drink that instead of OJ now. I just got a good deal on a Blendtec and I'm very excited about it. I had been using a regular blender which was fine, but this is nice. It made my smoothie really...well smooth today at lunch.




Anyway, I want to tell you about something else I have been doing/drinking. Back in April I went to this class at Relief Society. I went because I was teaching a class. I taught everybody about all my homemade lotions, potions and cleaning supplies. I learned some stuff about sprouted wheat that night. Like how to do it and how easy it was. It's super healthy for you to eat it, and easy. But as I was doing research on sprouted wheat later that night and the next day(I even found and made some sprouted wheat bread recipes) I started learning about wheatgrass too. I was really amazed. The benefits are really amazing. The funny thing is how easy it is to grow. First you have to sprout it, then once it's sprouted you let it grow. I have bought some little trays, but I also grow it in an 8x11 Pyrex dish. All you do is cover it for a few days, and let it start to grow, then take the cover off and let it keep growing.




But a few weeks ago, I went into the eye doctor because I was having trouble seeing. Never a good thing. So, I went it and had my eyes tested. My eyes had improved!! and I was over being over corrected with that prescription. That has never happened to me, if anything my eyes have gotten worse and worse over the years. I was really excited and thinking this was truly a miracle until Hayley told me the same thing happened to her a few years ago, and she isn't drinking the wheatgrass juice. But I will pretend that didn't happen to her, and continue to think the improved eyesight is due to the drinking of the wheatgrass juice. Scott even drinks it when he is home. I have all kinds of cleaning up to do on that boy.




The other thing I noticed, is...less gray hair. I used to sit and pick out gray hairs EVERYDAY. I started to tell myself I had better stop or else I was going to get patches of bald. But I haven't been picking lately, and I haven't been noticing as many gray hairs. Seriously. I had a patch in the front of my head that was pretty gray. Yes, it was very small, but it is gone. I don't know, it's not a miracle cure all, but I am noticing some interesting changes.




I don't know, I'm not super obsessed about it or anything, I just find it to be very interesting. The whole idea that food can almost be viewed as a medicine or a purifier. You know? I do eat 7-10+ fruits and vegetables a day. I try and eat super healthy and nutrient rich foods. I do eat plenty of treats though too. So, I'm not perfect. I just made chocolate chip cookies the other day, so...take that for what it's worth. I just love to eat good, real, whole foods. I do view my body as a machine, and I'm trying to fuel my machine with the best possible fuel available. I have been spending a lot more on groceries though. Eating healthy can be expensive. But that's a whole other blog post, that I could go on and on and on and on about.

7 comments:

  1. i'm sorry to rain on your parade.

    heather, you're an inspiration.

    i might start doing that for the less gray hair. i've been finding so many gray hairs lately.

    i want you to share the recipe for the citrus smoothie. you might get me doing that one! (i know, i should do the greenies, too. maybe when i'm not working anymore.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Citrus smoothie

    2 lemons juiced
    1 grapefruit juiced
    3 whole oranges peeled
    1 banana
    1 cup plain yogurt (it must be plain otherwise way too sweet)
    1 spoon honey
    (I also add a teaspoon of bee pollen, but you don't have to.)
    That makes enough for 4 people to drink one glass full. So, you might want to adjust amount of fruit, but that's a good ratio. I have played around with it plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hardly wait to sample all this good stuff when I come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have always been my health idol. I love frozen mango, fresh spinach orange juice and ice. It comes out green but tastes like mango/orange.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear sweet sister,
    I loved your comments on my post about the unexpected "you know what." You said exactly what I've been thinking. I've tried hard not to think of the changes I've made as a diet.

    I love the green smoothies too, as we have discussed.

    I can't wait to try your citrus smoothie.

    I've always wanted to grow wheatgrass because I think it is cute, now I want to do it to drink it.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS-With wheatgrass you have to juice that? Or do you use a blender?

    ReplyDelete
  7. On a less green note...I'm making your Jambalaya right now and thinking of you. We miss you Heather.

    ReplyDelete