Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Hiding Place

"The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it." James Bryce

I was asked to host a book club for our ward. Initially, I struggled to find just the right book. It's the first book club discussion. So, I wasn't sure who the participates would be. I wanted something that appealed to many, but wasn't BORING. And I did NOT want to read a church book. Sorry, I just didn't. One day, it hit me, why not The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom?? Have I been glad I did. Or that someone had a hand in helping me select it, if you know what I mean. If you haven't read the book here is a nice link to see what I'm talking about.

I feel like I learned so much more the second time reading this book. I happened upon the quote above about the worth of a book. I have known that Scott losing his job is part of a bigger plan. There wasn't a good reason for him to lose it. He had his "numbers" in fact, he was 165% for last quarter and already at 95% for the next. But this book was so very helpful in reminding me, of a couple things. First, God is in charge. We need to have faith and things will work out. What I have a little bit of trouble with, is that I know things will work out, I just want them to work out how I want them to work out. You know? I could go on and on with this one, but I think you get the point. We all have struggles, I'm trying to learn as many lessons from this one as quickly as I can :) I loved learning all about Corrie's life lessons. "In darkness God's truth shines most clear."

The second thing that really stands out for me with this book is the attitude of gratitude that Corrie and her sister Betsie have. Betsie and Corrie, by some miracle, had been allowed to keep hidden (in the concentration camp) a sweater to keep them warm, a bottle of medicine, and a bible. Betsie was sick and Corrie was thankful that she had this medicine for her sister. However, her sister couldn't stand to see others in need, and they would share the medicine with all that needed it. It really was a miracle, because the medicine should have been long gone after all the use. Every time they went to the bottle there was medicine. Until, they got some other medication, and then Corrie couldn't get another drop out of the bottle.

But it's the story of the fleas that I love. When Corrie and Betsie first get moved to a new barrack, they are with a group of women who are miserable, fighting and live with fleas infesting everything. Right away Betsie is thankful, that they were placed where they were, so they could help heal these women. She is also thankful for the fleas. Corrie initially remarks about how she couldn't feel thankful for the fleas. But she soon changed. The women in that barrack were allowed a lot of freedom from the guards, because the barrack was so infested with fleas. Corrie and Betsie were able to teach the women. Then Corrie saw that we should indeed be thankful for EVERYTHING. That has been a good lesson for me, being thankful for all of our opportunities, and our struggles!

4 comments:

  1. I've never read that book, but will now put it on my list! I'm glad to hear that you have a postive "take away" from this whole experience. I know it must be frustrating. the whole "do with me what you will" is a bitter pill to swallow, at least for me:) It looks like you had a great birthday. I'm sad I couldn't be there to be part of what looked like a fun girls' time together. The cake looked awesome and I don't even like peanut butter!

    Hope Hunter is feeling better.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will order the book and reread it too. Sometimes the second time around is better.
    Glad you had a Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've only read the book once. it was profound. now i want to read it again.

    glad you have a good attitude heathe! i love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, a very good book. I like how you applied it to your own situation. I think I'll pick it up again and re-read it. Interesting to note, currently I'm working with a gal who is writing a book on WWII Texas Veterans (I'm doing the photography), their stories have been amazing. In the process I've met a gal who was a concentration camp survivor. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete