Thursday, March 8, 2012

Asian rice bowl salad


My parents came in yesterday for a visit. They started talking about Downton Abbey, and I was like THAT's it!!! I need to watch it, everybody was talking about it here, then Instagram started telling me to watch. They had only seen a few of season 2, I found all of season one on Hulu Plus, and we started watching yesterday. Very good! Oh that Thomas is a beast, and what's the lady's name with the curls in her bangs, she is nasty! Very entertaining. This afternoon was going to be so busy, but then Hunter was asked to run in tomorrow's track meet (Varsity!! 800 relay) and Hannah's track meet was rained out. So, guess what we did? Yep, we watched 3 episodes of Downton Abbey. I think we may squeeze one more in today. It was slightly less enjoyable once the children came home. I like to immerse myself in the costumes and the scenery and the accents and the scandal and...just watch. None of this helping with homework, and getting snacks while it's playing. I skipped yoga class this morning and yoga'ed my way through an episode.

Here is the recipe for that Asian rice bowl salad. I got it out of Shape magazine years ago. It's a keeper. It even gets Hunter's seal of approval for a "salad dinner". Enjoy!

This recipe as shown serves about 4. I always double and have some left over for lunch.

1 1/4 cups brown rice
1 1/4 cups broccoli florets
1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
1/2 head savoy or napa cabbage, thinly sliced (the cabbage it is yummier that regular cabbage)
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
2 green onions, thinly sliced
Dressing
4 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil (I always use olive oil)
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast (I slice it into bit sized pieces and saute it in a pan with a little olive oil) or 8 ounces firm tofu (I have used the tofu option, but that was not nearly as popular with the family :)

I cook the rice, chop all the vegetables and put them in a big bowl. Add the rice, pour the dressing over the salad and mix it up well. Let it marinate around in the dressing for a few minutes before you serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment