Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I never said I wasn't a little bit of a freak...

A few weeks ago, Hunter approached me about this upcoming debate they were going to have in class. There are several vegetarian girls in his class, and the meat eaters and the vegetarians were going to debate...if we as Americans should adopt one day a week that would be meat-free. Now, I have tried "Meatless Mondays" and have learned not to ever, EVER call such a day "Meatless Anything". Because I do have some carnivores in the house, and see anything "meatless" as sub par. I do continue to serve up "meatless" meals occasionally, but I certainly don't call it anything. Hunter is one of the inflammatory ones, he will say things like..."Oh Doctor Oz must have told you that blah blah blah". While I did enjoy Dr. Oz on Oprah occasionally, I haven't watched his show once, shameful. And since being introduced to Dr. Oz, I have come upon some much heavier stuff, Hunter. Thank you very much.

So, anyway, we discussed the debate. At first, he thought the vegetarians wanted to make a meatless day mandatory. You know pass a law. I told him that, I didn't think that would ever happen. But who knows, with all the health care stuff being debated...the way we eat does make us sick. Then, the next day he came back, and said that they just wanted people to take a pledge. Oh...well that changes things for me, I told him. You know me, I said I thought it would be a good idea. And really, I left it at that. I have learned not to cram things down people's throats. People will figure stuff out when they are good and ready to figure stuff out, and nobody listens to you otherwise. But I am still going to finish my blog post. hahaha

Hunter disappeared upstairs for awhile, he was doing some research. He came downstairs with a puzzled look on his face. "Why do we eat meat anyway?" I started to laugh, he was beginning to see the light. I am not a vegetarian, nor do I think I will be anytime soon. But I do think the way we raise poultry, beef, and swine is disgusting. Let me be specific, I don't think eating meat is disgusting, I do however think the way we currently (in the United States) raise most of our meat is disgusting. Days before Scott lost his job, I was days away from paying and picking up my 1/4 of a grass fed cow. After he lost his job, I did indeed pull the plug on that, but I can't wait to fill my freezer with the grass fed cow and chicken from Paul Jack's Farm.

After Hunter left, I did a little research of my own.
I want to read this book, but I'm a little scared. Don't worry, I'm sure I'll tell you all about it. My hope in telling you about this and the other books and stuff below, is not to gross you out and/or make you feel bad about the stuff you may or may not eat. But I think, if more people know about our food industry and how what we eat affects us, they would want things to change too.


Are you interesting in learning about the food you eat? 'Cuz it's not just meat that gets me in a dizzy. Read some books!




This cute little book, I start with, because it's kind of an overview of many other books. It's a good, thought provoking book that can be read in 20 minutes, or so. Many, if not all of these other books I have blogged about previously, but I'll put them up again...just in case you might be interested this time around.





5 comments:

  1. I'm following you to the dark side, my sister. I really am.

    Or maybe it is the light side???

    ReplyDelete
  2. i read in defense of food & enjoyed it. i'm not sure i want to go any further ;) i like me a steak just a little too much but i don't want to think about it, either. like where it's from or what cut it is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like my steak too Hayley. That's exactly why we need more people to buck up and pay attention. One of the things that gets me is how we try to make our food so cheap. Hence all the fake foods we have in the supermarkets. Cows dont get raised on grass like they should they are fed corn, because it's cheap. Cows aren't supposed to eat corn and it makes them sick. THATS one of the reasons they need all of the antibiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid to read these, because I know they will make lots of sense! Honesty, I think Michael and I ate "good" meat all our lives until we were adults and buying our own. My grandfather had a farm and would butcher a cow when it was time and fill our freezers. Michael also grew up on a farm and raised steer for 4H and tells me he fed it hay and oats. Thats good right? He's been wanting to split a cow from auction with someone. This makes me want to do it.

    Chicken is a whole other story, I realize.

    Darn you Heather and your expansive knowledge! I liked being ignorant:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael Pollen is on Oprah today- 1-27-10. Oh my it does make you think. Has anyone seen Food 101? They talk about it on Oprah today.

    ReplyDelete